On The Ground works in collaboration with The Palestine Fair Trade Association to direct funds raised to specific projects of your choice. Through On The Ground, fair trade, & its export partner Canaan Fair Trade, the PFTA sponsors a range of programs with far-reaching social and economical benefits. The Palestine Fair Trade Association (PFTA) is a non-profit farmers collective in Palestine. The PFTA is the largest fair trade producers’ union in Palestine, with over 1700 small Palestinian farmers joined in fair trade collectives and cooperatives across the country. PFTA’s foremost mission is to assure fair profit and economic stability for producers of agricultural products in small, vulnerable, marginalized, and excluded Palestinian communities, but it is also a vehicle for long term social and economic empowerment.
Funds raised from Project Palestine go directly toward the following programs:
- TREES FOR LIFE – Planting thousands of olive trees for farmers starting out, as well as smaller farmers.
- MICRO-LOANS FOR WOMEN – Empowering women and designed to enable small producers with little or no resources to become producers and benefit from the fair trade returns.
- GREEN TRACK PALESTINE – Converting tractors to run on vegetable oil.
- SCHOLARSHIPS TO FARMERS CHILDREN – An investment in leadership benefiting farmers communities.
- COREC – Canaan Organic Research Center is a national center for research, education and extension activities promoting organic production and marketing of fruits, vegetables and grains in Palestine.
RUN ACROSS PALESTINE
The Run Across Palestine (RAP) was an incredible journey in February 2012 as On The Ground teamed up with Canaan Fair Trade and The Palestinian Fair Trade Association to raise funds and awareness for the fair trade olive farmers of Palestine. Though the run itself is complete, the project is ongoing, and here are some ways you can connect with us:
• Donate to this project!
• Learn about the Trees For Life and Scholarships to Farmers’ Children
• Hear some of the olive farmers stories
• Help us fundraise for Project Palestine or become a Sponsor for Project Palestine
• Click here for a full press kit and media release
Want to know more about RAP? Here’s more about why we ran...
THE PEOPLE AND THE OLIVE
The People and the Olive (released September 2012), is a documentary about the daily joys and struggles of Fair Trade Palestinian olive farmers and the American ultra marathoners who set out to bridge cultures and replant uprooted olive trees. Directed, filmed and edited by Aaron Dennis of Stone Hut Studios, and is based on the web series created by Aaron and journalist Jacob Wheeler during the Run Across Palestine. If you would like to host a screening of this film, contact StoneHutStudios@gmail.com.
A MIRACLE OF BIRDS
“The stories and songs on ‘A Miracle of Birds’, released one year after the run, are honest expressions of my experiences in the West Bank, colored by my own unique history and upbringing.” Joshua Davis joined On The Ground during the Run Across Palestine in February 2012. The songs are deeply personal and deal with his struggle between his Jewish identity and the oppression and confusion he found in the Middle East. Josh brings a unique program to schools and communities that combines his music and stories about the trip as well as club dates with a world-class six-piece band. His album inspired by his experience in the Holy Land will donate half of the proceeds to olive trees and educational scholarships for the farmers and families he encountered during his travels. CLICK HERE to purchase A Miracle of Birds.
SUPPORT PALESTINIAN FARMERS… EAT THIER AMAZING FOODS!!
On The Ground and Canaan Fair Trade share the same values. Canaan exists to benefit Palestinian farming communities. By purchasing their products, you are empowering farmers to invest in a secure future for their communities. To participate in the affiliate program click the picture to the left, which takes you directly to Canaan Fair Trade’s online store. Purchase your favorite Canaan products through this avenue and 10% of your sale will be donated back to On The Ground to continue it’s purpose to support sustainable community development in farming regions across the world. CLICK HERE to purchase your favorite Canaan Fair Trade items with 10% of your sale donated to OTG.
Learn about our Fantastic Sponsors
Join our e-mail list and stay informed about ongoing progress and events related to RAP!
- Farmer Stories
- Friends of Palestine Fair Trade Association
- Green Track Palestine
- Micro-Loans for Women
- RAP map and itinerary!
- Run Across Palestine
- RUNNERS for Palestine!
- Scholarships To Farmers’ Children
- Sponsors of the Run Across Palestine
- The Canaan Organic Research and Extension Center (COREC)
- The Run Across Palestine Team
- Trees For Life